Saturday, January 24, 2015

4-6 years late is better than never

I presume that some of you might also start craft projects, only to not finish them for 4-6 years? No?

Well something came over me recently and I actually finished three such projects. *Pat on the back*

The first one was a little quilt--you can tell that I cut it out 4-6 years ago, because nobody uses those colors anymore. I was trying to use up scraps. The squares were 3" when cut out and 2 1/2" when sewn. I had to add a couple of borders to make it a decent size.

To avoid having to use batting and such, I decided to finish it by self-binding with some heavyweight minky, which is the Satan of all fabrics. If I wasn't in such a rush to get it done, I probably would have used interfacing or some other method to stabilize it, but as it was it shifted all over and turned out all wonky. And that was after sewing it twice, because despite the fact that I have made several self-binding blankets, I still get the method wrong about 50% of the time. HOORAY.

 However, as it was for my 3-year old nephew, I didn't sweat it too much.

 
Happy birthday, Jack!

 
The next thing I finished was a pile of 11 kid sized aprons. I'd cut out over a dozen of them a few years ago and serged around all the edges, but then only finished a couple of them. This time, I finished them alll. I kept a couple for Luke and Isabelle, gave one to my niece and sold a few. I still have two pink and white ones, a blue/brown stripe and a blue/pink floral left, if anyone wants to buy one for $8.00.

I'd figured that I really should finish Luke's before he outgrew his, and I didn't want this Michael Miller fabric I got in ABQ go to waste.

 
Six years ago, my mom gave me and my sisters-in-law some Betty Luken felt books, which come in a giant sheet that you have to then cut out and assemble. I cut out all the teeny little pieces right away, but then the rest of it sat in a bin until now. My excuse is that 2009 was the time when we moved twice in six months, I was helping to plan my sister's wedding, and I was pregnant and sick.

 Another reason why I put it off was because it required grommet installation, which involves tools and hammers and you can't make any mistakes. I had Mark* help me a couple of weekends ago, and I FINALLY FINISHED THE DANG BOOK.

I'm looking forward to bringing it to church tomorrow so that the kids can lose all the pieces.

Maybe this will be the year that I finish the two shoulder bags I cut out that have since been sitting in my garage, and figure out how to make the zippered pouches that I bought the stuff for ages ago! Who knows!


*While we were grommeting, Mark had me go buy a replacement snap for a pair of board shorts that he wears to bed (which are "the best pair of board shorts ever made" and he refuses to ever stop wearing them, even possibly when he's dead), which has been missing part of a snap for SEVENTEEN YEARS and we fixed it.

SEVENTEEN YEARS.

No comments: