Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thanksgiving weekend 2013

Thanksgiving weekend! Barely survived this year, haha. I'm telling you, pregnant women should be given a "get out of the holidays" free pass. It was fun, just very very tiring.

We had Thanksgiving with Mark's family this year. We went to his folk's house in Hurricane. His brothers Frank, David and Paul were there with their families. There was a ton of food and it was all super delicious.

Madelyn helped me make a peach pie and two pumpkin pies (store bought crusts, canned peach filling...easy way out this year) and she and Mark made a big green salad.

Everybody pitched in and there was also sweet potato pie, cookies, brownies, turkey, ham (which I appreciated because I'm allergic to turkey), mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, salad, orange rolls, corn and peas and homemade gravy!

After we ate and cleaned up, the guys settled in to play Hearts with my father-in-law Frank. Each game goes on for over an hour, and I knew they'd be spending most of the rest of the day playing, so I decided to go up to St. George to see the rest of my family with Luke.

They ate at Tyler and Monica's this year, and we were the only ones that weren't there. Somehow we need to get back on a better rotation so we can all be together.

 My niece Nora and nephew Gary were ADORBS. They are exactly two months apart. Gary is 9 months and Nora is 7 months.

 

 
I love babies!!
 
 The kids spent some time with their Auntie Meg running around outside. My dad took some cute pictures:

 
  
Luke knows he's a stud muffin in his Bruce Lee shirt.
 (got it at Old Navy a couple of years ago)

 
Grandma Carolyn and Grandpa Rich Murset with all their grandkids! (minus Madelyn, who was too busy playing with her other cousins to come up)
l-r: Hattie, Gary, Ava, Jack Murset, Nora & Emery Nielson, Nathan Murset and Luke Yoder

The next day we cleaned house and got ready for my niece Autumn Yoder to stay the weekend with us. Madelyn was SO excited because this meant she got to have sleepovers for two nights.

 
 Autumn lives in Las Vegas and is two months younger than Madelyn. We saw her a couple of other times this year for her baptism and for swimming at Uncle John's. They spent a lot of time watching Netflix and YouTube videos of Minecraft (???). We got a copy of Monsters University and watched it at home that night.

The next day we went to the dollar theater downtown and all went to see Despicable Me 2. Cute movie!

Afterward, I dragged everyone into Gunjah The Bead Forest, which was next door. It's a bead store that also has all manner of geekery, comic books, and real live nerds sitting at tables in the back immersed in role playing card games. Just like you see in The Big Bang Theory!

 Ironically, while I have been there several times, Mark had never set foot inside before.

 
You should have seen him and Luke all giddy about everything. He bought him a couple of vintage comic books and chatted with the owner about what sort of gaming events go on there. We're pretty sure his brother Paul would never leave this place if he ever discovers it.

 
Downtown Cedar City
 The girls got along really well for the most part, considering that they're both used to having a lot of their own space. (Autumn is the youngest by about 8-10 years so is the only one at home.)

 We all went to church the next day and then Autumn's parents came to pick her up. Fun, busy weekend!!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I forget every year (until I see your T-Day post) that you are allergic to turkey. In my opinion, you're not missing anything. Turkey and chicken are pretty interchangeable in my book. . . I'd gladly serve grilled steaks at every holiday if my family would allow it!

The picture of your parents with the grandkids is a money shot. So great!