Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mini stockings of happiness


I don't know if you remember, but last year I made these little stockings on Christmas Eve morning. I was in a huge rush and had no clue what I was doing. But I thought they were a cute project and so decided to make some more this year.

 Initially, I cut out fabric for 16. Each one requires four parts, so that's 64 pieces! I cut those all out Sunday night.

 Then I decided to make two more. I asked Madelyn which one she thought was hers, and she immediately guessed (correctly) that it was the super bright hot pink one. Of course!

 This time I added ribbon loops so that they could be hung on the tree. And I also figured out that you should have the hole and subsequent top stitching on the inside lining, so it won't show. Duh.

 Monday I sewed and sewed....if you're only making one, they take about 20-30 minutes each from start to finish. But if you're making 18, it takes SLIGHTLY LONGER!!! (Sometimes I make myself crazy with the volume of things I sew.) It also takes longer if you're not paying attention and put the ribbon on the wrong side and have to take it apart and do it again. Ahem...

When I started ironing them and tucking the lining inside, I literally let out a squeal. Aren't they so adorable?!?!

 
Cuteness overload!!!

It's a great project for using up scraps (each finished one measures 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches) and is fun to choose which fabrics you think a particular person will like. I really wanted to keep all of them, but am only saving five for us.

They're the perfect size for gift cards, and will hopefully become a treasured little Christmas ornament.

For the tutorial and pattern, click HERE.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Those are so cute! You are so ambitious. I would start, have a panic attack, or just forget about them and find them in a closet 10 years. anyway, love the fabric as well!

a.k.a. Jack said...

Cute!

Erin said...

SO CUTE! It almost makes me want to start sewing. Almost.

Amy said...

Those are cute! I was looking for something to use to "wrap" my b.I.L's boring gift card. I will be making at least one of these

Carolina mama said...

They are extremely big time cute. Makes me want to be crafty.

Jen said...

Magnificent, and we have similar taste in fabric because I have some of those in my stash and also because I always LOVE whatever you sew.