Monday, September 24, 2012

My little mermaid

 

I LOVE MERMAIDS! Always have. So when I saw this tutorial for a mermaid tail that promised to be quick and easy, I knew I had to give it a try.

However....the directions (especially for the waist fin/elastic) were really confusing (maybe it's just me?) so I had to figure out my own way of doing it. And there was no pattern or tutorial for a top, either, so I sort of used one of Madelyn's leotards as a template. It turned out okay but not great. But now I know what better to do next time!

I already had the blue sparkle organza in my stash, so I headed to Jo-Ann and bought some matching shimmery swimsuit material, which is decidedly more expensive than the confetti dot stuff she used in the tutorial. (As in, $16.99 a yard--ack-- but I had a 60% off coupon.) I'd recommend getting a yard of it instead of a half yard like she says. It (and the organza) usually are 58 inches wide, so you're getting more than you think. A half yard for the organza is fine, though.

 Luke was ever so helpful, as usual.

I had it mostly finished when Madelyn came home from school on Friday, but today I made adjustments to the top and sewed Velcro closures on it, then added some big sparkly jewels.

  
She didn't want to model it for me until I told her I'd let her wear makeup...

Isn't she a beauty?? I love that girl!!

3 comments:

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Amazing! Seriously, you make the coolest things. I honestly probably don't think I even know how to turn on a sewing machine. I'm that behind in that domestic category.

Carolina mama said...

She is definitely a beauty. Pretty mermaid costume.

The Mursets said...

It turned out SOO cute! I love her serious pose where she is looking into the distance....beautiful!