Friday, August 12, 2011

Wildlife lesson 101


The other day, I was standing at the kitchen sink and looked out to see these adorable little baby squirrels poking out of the rocks in our back wall. There were five of them. I knew we had a couple of adult squirrels living in there, and they'd apparently reproduced. Sooooo cuuuuuute!


Madelyn spent a good half hour sitting in front of the window watching them. She loves wildlife, and has probably seen more nature documentaries in her lifetime than you have.

Then she went outside to observe, and a few minutes later came back in very distraught: "Mom!! Blue just caught a baby squirrel!" and started to cry.


Well, that was awkward.

Blue is the neighbor's Siamese cat, whom we took care of all last week and is very sweet and affectionate, so Madelyn was not prepared for this.

Me: (after a hurried explanation of cats being cats and desperate to just smooth things over because she can get overly emotional) "Guess what! We're going to Seven Peaks next week! Let's look at pictures online. Let's talk about anything but squirrels and cats..."

......Later......

Mark: (Zoology degree and all) "Well, you see...all cats are hunters...remember how lions sometimes catch zebras to eat to stay alive? Even though pet cats have cat food, their instincts still tell them to hunt, etc. etc. etc."

So, am I the only one who does this? Hasty explanation followed by a huge distraction? I guess I just don't like it when people are upset.

2 comments:

Flutterby said...

Haha :) I should be more like you. I tend to lean more on the explanation side of it... (Listen now, you're 3. You can understand this, right?) Every now and then I remember the distraction tactic and things settle down nicely again!

Katie said...

How fun, my kids would have loved the squirrels too.