Monday, February 7, 2011

Adventures in applique

2/7/11

I actually finished this project over a month ago, but kept forgetting to post about it. The towels were for my NM bestie Nadia (a belated Christmas gift) and for my cousin Rachel's darling little boy Maxwell (also belated by about two months--I'm telling you the holidays nearly killed me last year).

I followed a tutorial from Crap I've Made, but basically you:

#1 Google yourself an image you like--print it and cut it out

#2 Trace paper outline onto some Wonder Under and cut it out (you have to lay any lettering backwards in order for it to end up facing the right way in the end)

#3 Fuse the Wonder Under onto the wrong side of your fabric, cut around outline, then peel the backing off

#4 Iron on your applique onto your desired surface, following package directions

#5 Stitch around the edge to secure (although it claims you don't have to--I guess it depends on what you're using your item for). I used white thread in the bobbin and clear monofilament in the spool.

Remember this fabric? I made Luke a blanket out of it. Nadia and I  have a shared love for owls.

 and orange...

...and cephalopods (isn't this the greatest? I want one for me! It was kind of hard to stitch around, though)

...and spring green (recognize the fabric, Maria?)

Once I made these towels, I had a very strong urge to go buy 20 more (I got them at Wal-Mart, btw--they're microfiber, and a pack of two only costs like $4.00) to churn out some Mother's Day gifts. I will probably still do that. Flat cotton tea towels would work well, too.
(Holy color difference in the photos..) This is a simple cotton baby blanket I made for "Max" using the same applique technique. He lives in Florida so I thought something lightweight would be nice. It's big enough so it can be draped over his car seat to give him some shade, or it can be used on the grass or sand without too much worry. You can pretend that it's perfectly ironed....please.

To-do list (I don't actually make to-do lists, who am I kidding) for this week is to whip up a bunch of receiving blankets--flannel just serged around the edge-- and maybe try out some applique on some Onesies for baby gifts. I'll be sure to post the results!

12 comments:

Jen said...

Super cute!

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, those are all ADORABLE!!! I love owls, too!!! (Hence Whitney's bedroom!) I wish I could sew...I can't believe you sewed all those teeny tiny little edges! If I tried that it would be a bloody mess!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

I honestly use that blanket every day, Meliss.

I love that it is so big (way bigger than receiving blankets) and he doesn't get sweaty in it for his naps.

You're the best!

The Mursets said...

How cute! They turned out great! You are so talented.

Michelle said...

SO cute! If only I were a sewer . . . I need to get more brave.

Rachelle said...

Love them all - especially the orange owl/tree branch! Way to go crafty super woman!! And I love the name of the tutorial "Crap I've Made" - too funny!

Carolina mama said...

Extreme cuteness!

Kathryn M. said...

I wish we lived closer to craft together! They are all adorable. Check out the website Make it- Love it. It's right up your alley. I love the fabric you use.

Nadia and Jeremy said...

yep, I love my towels! i use them all the time.

Chelsea said...

Cute!!! This makes me want to get out my sewing machine and make something!! :)

Julia Smith said...

These are all darling! I ESPECIALLY love the owls!
I have started adding owl things in my kitchen and work room. They are so stinkin' cute!

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to do some applique on a bassinet bumper to make the plain bumper a bit cuter for #4. Thanks for the how to...now I just have to get a move on since he comes in about 2 weeks!