I am turning 30 this year. I was feeling sorry for my impending old-fogey-ness when I realized that there must be others out there like me. There's old 80's stuff everywhere! Vestiges from my youth (come back to me, youth...) that I can relive through my kids.
Madelyn doesn't even know about He-Man or She-Ra yet. I had forgotten about them until about a month ago, when I discovered that Qubo Night Owl shows both cartoons starting at about 10:00pm. He-Man (click to watch episodes on hulu!) has become nightly viewing now. I find it hard to express the sheer awesomeness of this show.
"By the power of Grayskull....I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!"
Evil-Lyn, Orko, Skeletor and Beast-Man
I almost hate to admit how much happiness I get watching this. But what's not to love? He-Man/Prince Adam with his pageboy hairdo, pink and purple undercover outfit, Battle Cat, Skeletor, Man-in-Arms, the Sorceress...and there's always a moral to the story!
Mark thinks I'm weird.
Mark thinks I'm weird.
Although he and Madelyn have been playing a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game demo on the XBox. There's a lot of pizza involved in the gameplay. I think Michelangelo was my old favorite. ADMIT IT, you used to love them too. I know my brothers did.
Somewhere along the way, Strawberry Shortcake was revived and a whole slew of dolls and merchandise appeared in stores, and computer animated shows as well. She's received a new look:
I've heard about some moms making a fuss about it. I LIKE what changes they made. She had a lumpy potato face before. (Kind of like those unfortunate Cabbage Patch Kids...) Madelyn loooveeesss Strawberry Shortcake and all her friends now. And the best part? The dolls still smell like strawberries! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (P.S. I just figured out how to type hearts without having to Google them and then copy and paste: Alt+3. Whew! What a timesaver!)
Also, remember Lisa Frank? And Trapper Keepers?
I honestly don't know if she ever went away. (Are you reliving 6th grade now?) I noticed that her brand had made a comeback in the back-to-school stuff during the past few years. I didn't feel right sending Madelyn off to kindergarten without something designed by Lisa Frank, so I got her this folder:
Of course she loves it. Rainbows, sparkles, hearts, a hidden butterfly in its eye. She was overcome with all the girly awesomeness. (So I've used the word "awesome" a few times in this post. So kill me.)
Thanks to Netflix, she watches Care Bears, too...and I saw some Rainbow Brite pajamas on Target.com. There's a whole site that sells tees plastered with all that vintage goodness. See? We 80's kids ain't getting old. Rad.

10 comments:
Cowabunga Dude! I watched the ninja turtles too all the time and have my son into them. We get the 80s/90s versions of them from the library. He loves them. Mikey was/is my favorite too. We even had a dog named after him growing up!
And glad to know I am in good company with turning 30 this year! phew. Makes it easier!
Adam's mom gave him that He-man action figure for Christmas before we had kids. Now Jace gets to bask in He-man's awesomeness, and the girls keep wondering why he isn't wearing pants. We LOVE strawberry shortcake. I personally like the inbetween strawberry, not the newest version but not the old potato face one. Their grandma has given them some cool "in between" shortcake stuff! We love it! I think I need to go buy something Lisa Frank now!
I watched, played and had all those things when I was little. Great post, brings back floods of memories. Oh, trapper-keepers, how I loathed them, but had to have so many of them. :)
Dang. I was going to comment, "Rad", but then you aid it at the very end. Wear your hair in a side pony. Your life will be complete.
Hehe! I am looking at my brother's He-Man, Masters of the Universe" blanket as I type! It is protecting my lovely table...I love the new Strawberry Shortcake (she is way cuter), and so does Ava...she watches the netflix movie allllll the time.I know I was born mid 80s, but I know all about these things. Thanks for a great post!
ps You could so rock the side pony~ I do it all the time :) Just don't cut your bangs short and fluff them.
She-Ra is on "Watch Now" through Netflix.
I had to tell Emil something was "so 80's'" the other night. I can't even remember what it was now but it felt good just to say it. Being born in '71 I'm hitting the big 4-0 this year and I'm just grateful that I'm not going to be spending it at girls camp!
Yes! I love the blast from the past! Emmy has been watching Shera on Netflix - gotta love it :)
This was one Rad post Mel! What a blast from the past. If you want to ever borrow any of our HeMans we have all four seasons. That is right! We own them. I got them for Mark one year for Christmas. He was giddy with delight (I know, I thought only girls got giddy!) Love Rainbow bright and Strawberry Shortcake! Boy, did we have some good times in the 80's! It was very Iconic! :)
OH MY GOSH! LISA FRANK! Strawberry Shortcake! Care Bears! I'm totally reliving my youth. Thanks for bringing that back Melissa.
(I had no idea about the new Strawberry Shortcake look -- I am SO glad they made her actually cute. The old one is quite scary looking. I used to have nightmares about the cabbage patch kids and their weird scrunchy faces.)
Post a Comment