Friday, January 14, 2011

Restaurant style avocado salsa

1/14/11

I've never made salsa before, but I had my eye on my friend Amy's recipe--it looked right up my alley with all the garlic and avocado and a dash of vinegar. I was going to make some for Christmas, but that didn't happen. Last night I finally put some together and yum--this is the BEST salsa I've ever had!!! Here's a shot of all I had left over from last night, about two minutes before I inhaled it like it was my last meal.
Restaurant Style Avocado Salsa
adapted from Amy Shupe's recipe

3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
4 oz. can fire roasted diced green chile
1 T white vinegar
1 jalapeno in escabeche (pickled) or you could use fresh, minced
1/3 cup cilantro
14.5 oz. can whole or diced tomatoes
garlic salt and pepper to taste

Combine canned, drained tomatoes and cilantro in blender. Blend until smooth (or desired consistency). Mix with remaining ingredients in bowl. Taste before serving to determine need for salt, etc. Serve with corn tortilla chips. Store in fridge in covered container.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

That's our favorite chip too. It's also low, REALLY low in salt.