Monday, January 3, 2011

Kids' stats

1/3/11

Today was an exciting day. Back to school, back to ballet, back to frantic rushing around. Right now I've got giant piles of stuff covering pretty much every surface in my house--I'm supposed to have seven little girls come here tomorrow for activity days and I have no clue what we're going to do (or who's going to clean the house if I'm busy blogging and Mark is asleep).

But--as long as I'm procrastinating, I thought I'd jot down the kid's stats from their doctor checkups today. Technically, Mark could just look them over and call it good, but I still keep regular appointments with Dr. Newbold because it's free and so I might as well.

Luke, 15 months
23 lbs 6 oz--32nd percentile
31.5 inches--63rd percentile

He was right on track with his development, if climbing and running and opening cupboards and spinning in circles in the exam room is any indication of health.

He also got three shots (and gets two more in a month--lucky kid!) and as a result, he zonked out right after dinner and has been asleep ever since. Hmm! Not so bad! For me...

(sidenote: this pic was from a couple weeks ago--I am SO over Christmas and those mini lights have all been boxed away...)
Madelyn, 6 years
38 lbs 4 oz--12th percentile
44.5 inches--36th percentile

So basically, she is still a skinny beanpole, but is very smart and agile and could talk the leg off a deaf horse. Dr. Newbold said her vision in her left eye (which we know is farsighted) is only 20/50, even wearing her glasses. She just had an eye checkup a couple weeks ago and was prescribed stronger lenses but.....money, anyone? Yeah, that's a problem. I wish we had insurance.

Here's a scintillating scene for you:

  
This is what we did tonight while we were waiting for the frozen pizza to cook in the oven. (No cooking on Mondays. It's my new rule.) Madelyn has long had THE WAXIEST ears and nothing else I had tried worked on getting them cleaned out, so we gave ear candles a try. We set up my massage table and let her watch Dirty Jobs (her favorite show right now). She was whiny at first until she saw the resulting glop that was slurped out of her ear, and then she was anxious to do the other one.

 The only problem is that one session didn't quite get it all out, so now I have to go back to the smelly health food store tomorrow. Mark says I need to buy a 4-pack this time. (Hoping 6 total will do the trick.....I told you she has waxy ears.)

Fun stuff, here at the Yoder's house!

Well, now since it's 11:30pm and I have to get up early to scrape the iceberg off my car to take Madelyn to school, I should probably go to bed. Oh, and if you have any ideas for activity days, let me know.... I'll just be here waiting for an epiphany.

7 comments:

The Yoder Family said...

Ear candles huh? Jake has the waxiest ears too - maybe we should give them a try too! Good luck with activity days - I have no clue! sorry

Ashlee said...

Ear Candles? What the heck does that do? How do they get the wax out? I would love to know because Karmindy has the darkest most waxiest ears! Like we are talking almost black ear wax! Sick. Sorry for the gorey details. Is that how Madelyns are? I would love to know more about those candles Mel! She needs some serious help and produces way more than I can get out of her ears everyday! :)

The Vakautakakala's said...

Isn't it crazy that everybody is commenting on waxy ears? Well, I will do the same!! My kids need ear wax candles. I will have to give them a try!!

The Yoder's Five said...

From what I understand, the wax is heated and softened by the smoke that goes into the ear, and then the vacuum that's created by the fire pulls it out. You hold it there until it burns down to 3 inches. It's just wax coated muslin that's wrapped into a tube. We took a look inside afterward and it got a ton out.

The paper plate is there to catch ash--you just poke a hole through one and stick the ear candle through it.

Rachelle said...

Make paper snowflakes (or beaded ones, if you have the supplies and are so inclined!) and talk about how each girl is unique like every snowflake. Maybe read a book about snow or something to go along with?? Hot chocolate for a treat?

Liz said...

My mom has been telling me to try and candle Kelty's ears for a while. I get a little leary of some of that stuff, so I hadn't taken it seriously. Maybe, I should look into it, her left ear is completely obstructed with wax. You can't even see her eardrum with an otoscope (sp?), I bought a cheap one so I could try and track my progress. I have been trying the ear wax softening drops and haven't really noticed a difference... maybe if they were clean she would start listening better...

Ulrich's said...

I LOVE getting my ears candled! My Grandma Bev worked at Natures Sunshine for years and was always trying out homeopathic remedies on us. It feels so warm and lovely:)