Monday, June 8, 2009

5 months along

6/8/09

Today I had another OB checkup. If I'm going by my Oct. 4th due date, then last Thursday I hit my five month mark. (Telling people I'm 23 weeks usually gets me blank stares, unless they've been pregnant themselves.) Here's a belly pic:

I know, I know. I've finally "popped." I have been informed of this by many, many people. So far my total weight gain has been...drumroll please...two pounds. I don't know how on earth two pounds can look so big. But the baby is growing on track, so that is good news. Madelyn's growth screeched to a halt when I hit 30 weeks with her, so we are keeping a close eye on all my measurements.

However, I have been having a lot of near-fainting episodes, and my doctor has decided to get some further testing done to make sure my heart is OK. I am slightly tachycardic (my heart rate is over 100 beats per minute) so I am scheduled for an echocardiogram Wednesday morning. Plus, for the next three weeks I have to wear a portable EKG monitor and activate it whenever I'm feeling short of breath, faint, or dizzy. I hit a little button during an episode and my monitor will record my heart rhythms for 45 seconds, which I then submit to a database. Here's what it looks like:

There is also a patch that's located on my upper left ribcage. So far it hasn't been bothersome to wear, but we'll see how I feel after having it on for three weeks straight.

It looks kind of alarming, but I am probably just fine. Even back in high school I can recall from PE class that my heart rate is normally pretty high--in the upper 80's to mid 90's. I also have low blood pressure, and that as well as my growing uterus squishing my aorta contributes to a lot of my symptoms. Being pregnant tends to exacerbate existing conditions, and being "delicate" and "petite" isn't helping me either, apparently.

So I'll try to take it easy (while I get ready to move--ha!!) to make sure I get a clean bill of health at my next appointment. Onward and upward!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Good luck! I hope that everything goes well.

Jen said...

Take care. If you need help or babysitting with the moving let me know!


My mom gained a total of five lbs with me because she lost 15 from hyperemesis, then gained 20 total.

The Mursets said...

2 pounds only! Sheesh! I just checked and at 25 weeks I had gained 22 pounds!

I hope everything goes well!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

2 lbs ?! You will be miss skinny minny (sp?) the whole pregnancy.

Sorry about the health issues.. hopefully it will get figured out soon.

You look great, hope you feel great!

Rachel said...

You look adorable! I love that "popped" tiny belly period of pregnancy. Take care--I hope everything goes well and that you don't have any further problems.