Sunday, October 19, 2014

4th grade, so far

 Madelyn is done with her first quarter of 4th grade already. Sheesh, time flies.

I went to her parent teacher conference a couple of weeks ago, and her teacher Mr. Carter said that she is doing really well in all her subjects--even math--which is rather surprising. (Her math homework causes epic amounts of drama and suffering. For her and for me.) The only area of improvement he had to suggest was her "behavior", as in "She gets frustrated easily and is very emotional. Is she like that at home?"

"HAHAHA! ONLY SINCE DAY ONE!!!" I wanted to shout.

But really, aside from some playground drama and the boy that sits beside her driving her nuts, she is doing well and having a good year. She has a lot of book reports and projects due all the time, which is annoying, but I guess that is what school is about. She is reading at a 6th grade level!

 
 I dug up her old school photos from K-3rd grade. It's fun to see her in different glasses and various stages of tooth gappiness. (I know that is not a word, I made it up.) She has lost three more teeth in the past couple of weeks--two of them at school two days in a row.


 We agonized over an outfit for 4th grade school pictures, but I'm glad we went with her yellow dress. It is very "Madelyn" right now. Last year, her favorite color was turquoise, but now it's yellow. (I love it, too.) I can't believe how grown up she is. She will be 10 years old in two months!! Gah.

 I scanned in some of her recent drawings, depicting all her favorite Halloween things--the Grim Reaper with a bloody scythe, a vampire jack-o-lantern, and a haunted house with a zombie, several witches, another grim reaper, "voodoo heads" and several disembodied flying eyeballs.
She has a flair for this sort of thing.

She is still in gymnastics, still a good little helper with baby Isabelle, still loves bossing Luke around (although when she can manage to not be too bossy, they play together well), still sleeps with the cat on her bed, still likes to dilly dally and procrastinate and nerds out about science, NOVA, sea creatures, Doctor Who (Eleven is her favorite Doctor) the Harry Potter and Hobbit movies and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I'm always catching her reading past her bedtime, or in the morning when she's supposed to be getting ready for school.

 I'd write more, but I've got to go force her to stop playing Minecraft and go to bed. She is on fall break and can't be bothered with "normal bedtimes", or "not having ice cream for every meal". Oh, to be young again.

4 comments:

Carolina mama said...

She is such a joy and a delight to be around. I am glad she is a science nerd. She's a beautiful one.

Liz said...

I can't believe how much she has grown. Her kindergarten picture she looks so little!!!

Unknown said...

Super impressed about the 6th grade level reading! :-o Way to be Madelyn! I know there can be so much drama with that gal, but it's so nice to see she has so much passion for particular things. She really knows what she likes!

I hope her whole 4th grade year goes well. I think 4th grade was one of the hardest for me as a kid (mostly because the teacher was kind of mean).

Rachelle said...

I can't believe she's almost 10!!! How can that be possible? Such a cool kid!