Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Summer 2014 recap

Since I have been a dismal blogger the past few months, I have a lot to catch up on. Here's what went on in the summer that I missed!

We went to the (man made) lake on the hill behind the aquatic center and the kids had a blast digging around in the sand. Madelyn's BFF Emma Taylor came with us.

I spent my time chilling on the beach with The Sorcerer's Stone. In fact, one reason why I've been slacking on the blog is because for the past 7+ weeks, I've been re-reading all the books. I'm 3,232 pages in and have 867 to go. Who cares about housework or blogging or cooking or responsibilities, because it's HARRY POTTER, YOU GUYS.


 The girls crammed in a lot of playing before Emma moved away from our street to her grandparent's place across town while her family is building a new house. We miss her!

 Chalk art

 
 Madelyn and her "Magical Mystery Tour" (she is my little Beatles fan)

 Photo by Luke. I guess I should mention that about a month ago, I was finally released as the Relief Society Secretary in our ward. I'd had the calling for almost 3 1/2 years and it was a very busy, nonstop job. I enjoyed the ladies I worked with, and getting to know the sisters in the ward, but I can't say I miss the stress and all the meetings! I have been called to be the Emergency Preparedness coordinator now, and I have no clue what I'm doing. Shell out any advice that you'd like.

 
Luke's typical morning...

We went to see my friend Liz and her baby #5, Owen. She has the cutest babies!

My ballet teacher of 15 years, Gretchen Rowe, called me up a few weeks ago and we went out for dinner. She taught me tenacity along with how to dance. Shortcuts and sloppy work were not allowed! (Which is how ballet should be taught if you want to be any good.) It's probably why I'm a perfectionist in other things, too.

Those kids.

Madelyn and I spent a Saturday morning observing hummingbirds up on the mountain at a restaurant that has a resident flock of about a dozen of them. We were trying to get a head start on her science fair project. Hope it pays off in the spring...

We had a Yoder family gathering at Mark's folks' house in Hurricane. Isabelle got to meet her uncles Frank, Mike Y., Mike B., John and David and her aunts Sheila and Sally. And a bunch of her cousins, including Alex, who shares her birthday!

 Tiger, who is apparently not satisfied with the pampered life that he leads here, ran off again for 5 days so he could go be a Man in the Wilderness.

 
 Then he showed up again at his old owners' house and we had to come get him.
 
 Poor Madelyn is always a nervous wreck when he runs away.

 
 And Tiger always seems supremely unconcerned. Stinker!

 I took Luke and Madelyn to the Green Show at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, which is 5 minutes from our house at SUU. We saw Fred Adams, the festival's founder, and the show was really excellent this year. Luke was dancing very exuberantly during the whole thing. Madelyn bought a flamboyant golden mask at the gift shop. We always love the Green Show.

 This was a full double rainbow, but I didn't have my camera with me until it had already faded. We had a good, rainy summer.

 
Just trying to enjoy the nice warm days that we have left!

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

School started *and* you got released from a busy calling? Awesome! Looks like a lovely summer. I'm all for reading and rereading the HP books. I loved reading them to my almost-readers!

The Yoder Family said...

Way cute pics EXCEPT for the SCARY one of me!! What kind of face is that?? TAKE IT OFF!

The Yoder Family said...

Thank you Melissa - you are quick girl! I hate all pics of me right now. I love reading your blog though and all your adventures - it makes me smile. :)

Summer said...

Sounds like a nice fun summer. I think about Gretchen a lot and always wonder what she is doing with her time now that she isn't devoted to teaching. I really should see her next time I'm in town. After all she was like my second mom. I was the Emergency Preparedness leader a few years ago, and I loved it. I handed out a newsletter monthly. Jarolyn Stout puts one together every month that she let me use (although I eventually made my own), and I just changed some of the info to accommodate our area. Here's here site, where you can find the newsletter (my ward loved the newsletters): http://preparednesstips.blogspot.com/
I also did quarterly homemaking meetings on sprouting, wheat, how to cook with wheat, solar and alternative cooking methods, 72 hour kits, beans, etc. I learned a lot from that calling and now actually enjoy doing a lot of the "granola-y" type things still. Let me know if you need any more ideas.