Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Big boy bed!

Phase 2 of getting ready for Baby QQ has been rearranging the kid's rooms. SOOO FUN. (Not really.) After de-junking and de-cluttering everything, we had to figure out where to put the crib and all her stuff.


Luke's room a few days ago....we've decided to keep the changing pad on his dresser and the glider in the corner. Then we'll move his bookshelf out of the closet and put another dresser in there for the baby's clothes, move his hamper into the closet and put the nightstand in storage. (Hoping it all works out the way it does in my head, haha..)

We also needed to find Luke a big boy bed. Weirdly enough, a few days before I was going to go out and get him one, he told us he needed a big boy bed, even though we hadn't talked to him about it yet. I guess it was time!

 I sneaked in like a creeper mom and took a pic of him in his last night in his crib/toddler bed. He has gotten so big.

 We are getting a new crib and gave ours away to our friends Jeff and Lindsey, who work with Mark and are having a baby girl two weeks after us. Goodbye crib! :( It's been a good nine years.

One last hurrah with his blanket bench (which he has pounded the heck out of)...

 On Friday, Mark only had to work half a day, so I had him stay with the kids and went to St. George on a mission to find Luke a twin bed. Since I'd visited literally every single furniture establishment in the area back when I was shopping for a kitchen table, I knew there were only a couple of places that matched my style and price range. The first store (DownEast Home) only had one bed that was affordable, and then I went to Passport Furnishings. I'd checked their website before I went down, but I didn't know what they'd have in stock at their warehouse. And lo!

They had these three adorable beds! The white and black ones were only $119 (I know!) and the wood finished one was $149. But then came the moment when I had to DECIDE, ON THE SPOT, which one I wanted. The agonyyyyyyyy. I was supposed to meet up with my sister-in-law and only had a few minutes. I completely loved the white one, but it is more girly, so finally I texted Mark pictures of all three. He told me Luke liked the black one the best. For a while I wondered if I should be taking design advice from a 4-year old, but it is his bed after all.

So I paid for the black one, and the mattress that was on the brown bed because it was only $75 ($206 for the whole transaction, I couldn't believe it) and me and this other skinny twig of a girl heaved it all out to my car and shoved it in. We had all but the driver's seat folded down and we put the mattress on an angle and got it to fit. Shwoo!

Then I went to TJ Maxx and Target to find some bedding--and just to do fun shopping, because, hello--and I texted Mark a bunch of pictures of the quilt sets I found. Luke picked out the Basic Circo quilt set in green, his favorite color (which was only $30, conveniently, compared to $70 or $80 that some of the others were) and finally drove home.


 He had fallen asleep on the couch by the time I got home, but Mark woke him up after he got it set up for him.


 I love how he still sleeps like this.

 
He sort of rolled out of bed at some point on the second night (at least we heard his lamp crash) but so far, he loves it!

We got Madelyn's old box spring mattress out of storage the next day and added it and a black bedskirt at the bottom. I think the room looks GREAT! I already had the gray sheets. The rug is from Ikea, I made the pieced quilts on the bed and wall. The wall color is Frozen Pond by Behr.

My big boy! Of course he's thrilled that he can get under his bed now.

I couldn't find a more recent pic of Madelyn's room, but we've changed things around in there, too. Her white baskets of dress up stuff have been moved to storage or her closet, and she's not longer using the pink nightstand for her humidifier. Her bedding used to be pink and brown (which I'd bought ages ago but never really went with her room).

Now her bookcase has moved from the other side of the room along with her set of drawers with the 100 miscellaneous little toys she has, and her new easel. The other side of the room is still a work in progress, but it's where the crib will go.

She got a new comforter from Ikea and duvet cover from Urban Outfitters for Christmas. Her favorite color is turquoise and I had my eye on that bedding for months!! It finally went on clearance and I snatched it up. It fits her personality and age so well.

I just got her the cute polka dot sheets from Target while I was there getting Luke's stuff. They are the Circo Dot Sheet Set - Purple (there are green, purple and blue dots). Her accent wall color (a very pale blue) is Ice Folly by Behr. Her dad built her loft bed from these plans.


For the baby, I have my eye on this cute little white crib from Ikea...and I got this in the mail to go with it:

My friend Anya, who is a compulsive crocheter and made my my epic TARDIS afghan, asked me to choose a pattern and colors for a baby blanket. So I chose a scallop pattern and told her I liked bright blue and pink. I LOVE IT!!!


The rooms are far from being done, but we're getting somewhere!

3 comments:

Monica said...

Their rooms look awesome! I love the green and gray in Luke's room and think it all looks great! I just emailed you saying I needed to see a picture of Luke in his bed. Love it!

Heather Wells said...

your "getting somewhere" is my "completely finished" :)
Looking great! Luke looks so cute in his big boy bed.

Rachelle said...

I'm a bit obsessed with turquoise and red - love Madelyn's room!! And I would have picked the black bed, too, so good choice, Luke. His green bedspread reminds me of the quilt I made for my bed last spring. And can I just say? Good golly Luke is looking OLD! I'm so glad you're having another tiny one because Luke is far too old to be the baby of the family. Such a handsome little man!