Last week, I brought this to a church activity and it seemed to be a hit. I guess a better indication of that is that the following day, Madelyn pulled out all the ingredients again, chopped her own tomato and made everyone this for lunch. She loves it! Thumbs up for kids eating healthy! It has a nice combination of fresh, salty, sweet/tart and nutty.
This salad turned out to be enormous, and I put too many toppings on (which sank to the bottom of the bowl), so this recipe isn't going to have specific amounts. Just use the amount you'll need for your family.
Summer Spinach Salad
by Melissa Yoder
baby spinach
crumbled feta cheese
toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts
cherry tomatoes, halved
dried cranberries (Craisins)
chopped green onions
To toast the nuts, heat on medium in a dry skillet until fragrant and golden brown. Set aside to cool. Toss the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed. Serve with your favorite dressing. My suggestions:
Delish!
Other yummy things to toss in:
diced avocado
chopped cucumber
slices of this chicken
1 comment:
Spinach salad is one of my all time favorite foods. I like strawberries (when they're in season) in place of cranberries (though I love cranberries when strawberries are out of season). There's something so pretty about bright red against deep green. Sometimes I'll grate fresh Parmesan instead of Feta - both are yummy! I have a recipe for a vinaigrette dressing that I make and keep on hand all summer long. It's oil, red wine vinegar, dry mustard, sugar, and a little salt (I think - too lazy to go pull the recipe, though!). So yummy!
Post a Comment