Thursday, February 21, 2013

Valentine's Day


I suppose I'd better post about this before it's too far past. Valentine's Day is the one bright spot in February for me. I love the hearts and red and pink everywhere, and the chocolate. Like every other holiday, this one seems to center around the kids now (although I've never considered V-Day as strictly for romantic couples).

I made sure to buy myself a pound of Hot Lips (showcased by Madelyn, above) for the week leading up to it. It's really a bonus that I'm the only one that likes them. Madelyn has started to like them, but mostly I had them to myself. I was pleased to see that there are now bunny shaped cinnamon candies at the store. Somewhat weird, yes. But delicious.

 Madelyn was so excited to wake up to chocolates and toys and we also had goodies sent from Grandma Carolyn!

She (Madelyn) had made a bunch of handmade valentines, including these:

 This was for her friend Aidan, who moved to Iowa a year ago. She has been missing him a lot lately.


 She made these for her Primary teachers the Christians, a husband and wife who, strangely enough, really loved being in charge of those crazy 7-8 year olds but had a new stake calling to fulfill and had to be released. Madelyn was very upset and made sure to send them these. 

In the left hand corner, you can see she wrote "in God we trust ♥". Ha! Isn't that the cutest thing?! (Mark had recently been talking to her about coins...)

Luke wasted no time trashing the house that I'd stayed up late cleaning. He was particularly excited about the conversation hearts, because they have letters and words on them! Better to be enjoyed when scattered on the floor!

Valentine's Day parties at elementary are always the best. Everyone gives everyone a valentine, and nobody is left out. Pretty much the best day of the year.

Mark was sick and not feeling well and also had to go to a 7:30am meeting at the hospital, even though it was his day off. We got a babysitter for that night, but unfortunately couldn't go on a date. He had to give a guest lecture at SUU for their "Intro to the PA Profession" class on pediatrics. Since he was going to be gone anyway, I decided to go to Pilates. We got home late and Madelyn watched Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown before going to bed an hour and a half late.

So that was pretty much it. I'm just grateful to have such a loving family and a universally approved excuse to eat candy.

1 comment:

Erin said...

And Aidan loved the Valentine. I don't know why the little stinker won't take a moment to make a note of his own. Christian will be out of town next week, so maybe I will make the boys take some time to do some things we don't normally do when he is home.

I'm sorry she is having such difficulties with the UTIs lately. That is horrible! I hope her little body can get them under control very soon.