Friday, August 31, 2012

Favorite summer tradition


The Utah Shakespeare Festival is one of the best things about living in Cedar City. It's located at SUU and is world class (Tony Award winning) theater. During their summer season, they have "The Greenshow" Monday-Saturday at 7:00pm on the "green" (lawn) in front of the theater. It's a free half hour show with dancing, singing and entertainment. We make it a point to go at least once a year. The kids LOVE it. I almost applied to become a Greenshow performer, but then I got pregnant with Madelyn...

 Last night was Gypsy Night!

 We took Madelyn's friend Emma with us, and when a conga line formed, she was up there dancing within about 5 seconds.

 That's her in the heart shirt.

Clapping along to the music...

 Afterward, the kids always have to have a few good rolls down the grassy hills.

 I just love the ambiance at the Festival.

 Last year was their 50th year!

 This is their lineup for this year. I went and saw The Merry Wives of Windsor last month with my Pilates teacher and it was FANTASTIC. I absolutely loved it. One of the best shows I've ever seen there. I'd like to go back again, if I could. Since we're locals, we can get 50% off tickets if you buy them the morning of the show. Les Misérables has been extremely popular and has been selling out weeks in advance, so I haven't been able to go to that one.
 Then I took the girls into the gift shop and they got matching flower wreaths with ribbon streamers.

 What hams!! (Emma and Madelyn used to be in the same dance class a couple years ago and then Emma moved into our neighborhood this year. They've become fast friends because they've both got a flair for the dramatic...)

 I miss walking around campus every day. So many trees and huge fields of grass.

Come check it out if you're coming through Cedar City!

PS. I just realized that tonight (Sept. 1st) is the last night of the Greenshow until next year. So hurry and go!

5 comments:

The Mursets said...

That looks so fun, and absolutely GORGEOUS and lush! Glad you got to have a fun night out!

Carolina mama said...

I'm glad, too.

Rachelle said...

My parents saw The Merry Wives of Windsor too. To quote my dad, "It was a bunch of wives acting naughty". He's not easily impressed!!

Adam said...

Looks like fun. Right up Madelyn's ally. Way to go on the yard, btw. It looks awesome, and so much work. I'm sure it's such a relief to have it finished.

Adam said...

Oops, that was Summer, not Adam.