Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Coconut Lime Banana Bread

As per your requests, here's the recipe for the Coconut Lime banana bread I mentioned yesterday. It's Dana's recipe from MADE, and I've posted the link a couple of times, but here's the whole thing. Ever since I tried this, I've never gone back to making regular banana bread. What's not to love about toasted coconut and a citrusy glaze?? It is SO YUMMY.


Coconut Lime Banana Bread
by Dana Willard

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 of a stick) softened butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups smashed, ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup yogurt (vanilla, plain, strawberry, whatever flavor)
3 Tbl. apple juice or applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flakes, toasted
3 Tbl. coconut to sprinkle on top of bread

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice (appx. 1 lime or lemon; you may substitute store-bought if needed)

In a dry skillet, toast the coconut flakes on medium heat until golden brown; set aside.
Mix the first 3 dry ingredients in the small bowl (the flour, baking soda, and salt) and set them aside. Mash up the bananas with a fork and set them aside. Crack two eggs and toss them in your mixer. Add a 1/2 stick of softened butter. Add the sugar and beat everything on medium speed for about 1 minute.

Add the rest of the ingredients.....the bananas, the yogurt, the apple juice, the vanilla, the coconut. Get it all in there and mix it up until blended. Then add the dry ingredients, and mix it on low speed just until moist. Grab your bread pan. Cut a small rectangle of wax paper (or parchment paper) to fit in the bottom of your pan. Spray the pan with cooking spray (or rub it with butter) and place the wax paper on the bottom: pour the batter right into pan.

 Finally, sprinkle the top of the bread with 3 Tbl. of coconut, and put it in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. Test with toothpick for doneness. While the bread is baking, prepare the glaze. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime or lemon into a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or more if needed) Mix it up until you have a slightly runny consistency: When your bread is done, allow it to rest for 5 minutes on a cooling rack (but don't let it to cool completely). Remove it from the pan, peel the wax paper off the bottom, and drizzle the glaze right over the warm bread. Get the glaze in all the grooves and let it drip down the side (place a sheet of foil under the rack to catch all the drips). Enjoy!

*Note: This recipe also makes 3 mini loaves. Bake for 40 minutes at 350°.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Thanks!

Rachelle said...

Oh, and I couldn't find the link on MADE to pin, so I pinned your sight. Hope you don't mind!

Rachelle said...

Actually, I pinned your SITE, not your SIGHT. I need more sleep . . .