Friday, April 24, 2009

The Ol' St. Francis Special

4/24/09

When Mark was getting ready to interview for different PA schools 2 1/2 years ago, he did something very unusual--he wanted to go clothes shopping. He had me come to JC Penney with him, where he got himself a brand new suit and a couple of dress shirts and ties. I picked out a nice tan colored shirt and tie for him, which he wore to his interviews and got a ton of compliments on how professional he looked. He figured that was a good omen, so he also wore the same shirt and tie to his white coat ceremony last year, and then again to graduation last weekend.

The administration at Mark's school prided itself on being a thorn in every student's side. They liked to give them what we refer to the "St. Francis Special," in which they'd drive home the point that they owned the students and that their families, money, time, and other personal considerations were of no importance to them. So I had to laugh when I was doing the wash from our trip and found that St. Francis had had the last word. Mark's tassel must have been in the front pocket of his tan shirt, and sure enough, it's ruined now.

I can just hear them saying, "We'll let you graduate, Yoder, but you're never going to be able to wear this shirt again! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!"

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That is a total crackup! I love this post :)

Natalie said...

hahaha! oh my gosh, that is just too funny! Murphy's laws in action!