Monday, September 15, 2008

Poll

9/15/08

This is something that I was thinking about a couple months back, but never got around to posting. For some reason, I was pondering what animals we are most similar to. It probably stems from when I was in pageants as a teenager, and a question from one of the interviews was "If you were an animal, what animal would you be?" (Not exactly sure what that's got to do with representing one's city...) I said a cheetah, because I was "fast and sleek." Huh? To this day I still don't know why I said that. I should mention that I was 14 and so nervous that I was ready to die.

Sooo, after much soul-searching on a car ride home with Mark one night, I concluded that if I were an animal I would be: a beaver.
I know, I couldn't choose anything less glamorous. But I am fairly hardworking and fastidious about most things. Hopefully the rodent/large buckteeth thing doesn't apply.

But specifically, I am comparing myself to Mrs. Beaver, from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Remember how Peter, Susan and Lucy were with the beavers when they discover Edmund had left and betrayed them to the White Witch, and they are expecting a pack of wolves to come for them at any moment? Everyone except Mrs. Beaver throws their coat on and makes a beeline for the door, but she insists on packing food, handkerchiefs and tea things for everyone first, and then wonders if her sewing machine would be too heavy to carry along. ("I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it.") And then later, when they agree it was a good idea to pack the food after all, but that they'd be sleeping in a hole in the ground, she says, "If you hadn't all been in such a plaguey fuss when we were starting, I'd have brought some pillows."

I can sense some of you agreeing with this comparison in your minds already.

I decided that Mark is like a dolphin: Highly intelligent and social, but mostly prefers to have fun frolicking in the surf.


Madelyn (although this was a toss-up between a monkey), is most like a hummingbird: Small and feisty, zipping around from one thing to the next, and can survive solely on sugary liquids.


So I would really like to know--if you were an animal, what animal would you be? Discuss.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm pretty sure I'd be something like a blog-reading sloth.

Unknown said...

I don't know what animal I'd be, but it would be tall, dark, and extremely handsome.

Tyler

Tiptoe Dancer said...

I'm pretty sure that I would be a tiger because they are fast, pretty, they like water, and they walk very quietly. Just ask Maria if I walk quietly! I jump out at her all the time! Ah... good memories.
Meg

Project Maniac said...

Well, good thing that I have already decided! We had to pick an animal that described us for our sister day this year. I chose the bunny from monty python.
I'm easy going, but when I get mad, I'll rip your head off if you are in my way. I don't necessarily do it, but I sure think about and it's on the tip of my tongue before I can suppress it.
My sister in law did some research on the qualities of rabbits, and it fit my personality for the most part. Loyal, and some other things I can't remember now and won't write down because I don't know where my sister day book is at the moment because of the move.